Thursday, February 2, 2012

Everything you've ever wanted to know about nitrous oxide, but were too high to ask...


If you’re like me, when you hear the words nitrous oxide, you immediately think of visits to the dentist and Steve Martin’s sadistic character in the remake of Little Shop of Horrors. At least, this is what I thought of before I started working here. Now I think of hundreds upon hundreds of tiny metal canisters that I have to pick up out of the parking lot.

Allow me to explain.

In addition to being a mild euphoric, nitrous oxide is also a useful agent in pressurized whipped cream. Thanks to Dennis Leary, and high school, most of us know that you can get high by inhaling the gas contained in these cans. Unfortunately, it takes special skill to let the gas escape without covering your face with cream. Becoming high while you’re doing this adds another dimension to the difficulty.

Fortunately, there are chefs out there who enjoy making their own whipped cream and have created a market for small, manageable containers of nitrous oxide. Because of this, we’re able to sell small, steel containers holding 8 grams of the gas, which is about enough to fill a normal balloon. To help create the illusion that customers are coming into buy nitrous oxide (and desktop scales) from us for cooking, this section of the glass case is filled with reusable whipped cream containers, cookbooks and body toxin cleansing kits (more on this later.) This doesn’t explain why we also sell balloons and nitrous oxide container crackers, but I’ll ignore that for now.

In reality, customers come in and buy these containers to huff out of a balloon and get a three-second high. I know it’s only a three-second high because I tried it during my first solo overnight shift. With no customers in the store, I cracked a cartridge, filled a balloon, inhaled as deeply as I could and proceeded to fall off my stool while giggling to myself. The high ended immediately and my ass hurt for days. It seems like a great way to blow $40 on a Saturday night.

Other than the ensured loss of brain cells, there isn’t a tremendous amount of risk with huffing nitrous oxide other than suffocation. I’ve heard of nitrous “connoisseurs” who have died after buying an industrial tank of nitrous oxide and then opening it up in their non-ventilated home. I’ve also heard of users suffering from blue lips after re-inhaling and exhaling directly into the balloon, with no fresh oxygen for five to ten minutes at a time.

Again; a great way to blow $40 bucks.

Once I started learning more about nitrous fans and inhalant culture, I started pumping the regular customers for more information. Many said they like the unpredictability of the effect of nitrous combined with how quickly the effects leave your system.

One customer told me about how he was invited on a camping trip with a group of friends who had gotten ahold of a 200 liter nitrous oxide tank and were taking it out to the woods. Once settled, everyone gathered around the pick-up bed with their balloons in hand, ready to trip out. After he had huffed enough, he sat on the back of the truck and watched his friends empty a balloon into their lungs, turn and sprint for ten feet before stopping and trying to figure out why they had felt the need to run.

Another confided that he couldn’t invite particular friends to their nitrous parties anymore because certain people can become violent when their huffing. Nothing ever came to blows, but as he put it, “It really harshes your mellow when the same asshole screams at the top of his lungs for five seconds every time he takes a hit.” Now he gets a group together to huff in a parking lot, then they just drive home.
This is probably the same fucker who keeps leaving me piles of empty canisters to clean up in our parking lot at the beginning of every shift.

All things considered… actually, considering the other stuff we sell in the store, nitrous is pretty tame and relatively benign. It’s just expensive, short-lasting and leaves a huge mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment