Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Drinking during an overnight shift...


When I learned that I was about to switch from working the overnight shift to the evening shift, I suddenly became incredibly restless working those long, early morning hours. The worst time was after 3 a.m. after all the cleaning was finished and no customers would come in until 6 a.m.

During my time working overnights, I tried to combat these restless feelings in a number of ways:

  • I replaced the liquid hand-soap in the store’s public bathroom with non-water-soluble lube. In retrospect, this was stupid. While most customers ended up rubbing the non-washable goo on their pants, some decided to wipe is all over the walls of the video booths; which I then had to attempt to clean.
  • I cranked up the classic rock station. The original attempt was to energize me while I was cleaning and to help keep me awake, but it was never as successful as I had hoped. Most of the time, the station played incredibly lame, slow classic rock songs like the Who’s Behind Blue Eyes. In the rare cases when the station played something good, I would finish cleaning quickly, raring to go, only to realize that I still had to sit around for another four hours.
  • I rented movies and watched them when no one was in the store. This actually worked out great for a while. The American Film Institute had recently released their list of the 100 Greatest American Films and I was having a blast catching up the classics that I hadn’t seen before. (Also, 4 a.m. is the perfect time to watch Woody Allen.) Unfortunately, one night when I wasn’t working, my coworker covering the overnight shift was doing the same thing, but ended up getting his rented copy of Liar Liar stuck in the VCR. The owner was furious, removed the TV/VCR combo we were only supposed to use to check if tapes were defective and refused to give the tape back. I decided that watching movies at work is awesome, but it’s not awesome enough to warrant a $150 Blockbuster fee.
  • I read lots of long, difficult books. You’d be amazed at what you can get through when it’s the middle of the night, you have to stay awake and have absolutely nothing else to keep you occupied. Also, sleep deprivation can help you develop some really elaborate theories about abstract works of literature like Naked Lunch and Ulysses.
  • I experimented with drinking at work.
This was probably the worst idea I tried while working overnights. I drank vodka with cranberry juice (as an attempt to mask the smell of alcohol) and quickly lost track of how drunk I was getting. The first few hours went by really quickly and were a blast. I got chatty with all the customers and everything was really, really funny. But by 2 a.m., when the customers stopped coming in and it was time to start cleaning, I was afraid to try getting up off the stool. Worse yet, I was starting to nod off, but wasn’t sure I could walk without stumbling.

The shift sucked. I didn’t finish cleaning until 6:30 a.m. and had a huge headache. The experience taught me that work is not the best place to drink, particularly when you’re the only person working for an eight-hour stretch.

At one point, I considered taking some of the “sativa” we sold in an attempt to pass the hours, but the horror stories that were told to me convinced me not to try it. Waking up, face flat on a glass display case, drenched with my own saliva doesn’t sound like a good time to me.

I was left with nothing but caffeine and gumption to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment